I keep seeing the word "Vulgate" in this discussion.  Has "Vulgate" become a
word like "Septuagint," meaningless?  (Sorry, RAK)  When the term "Vulgate" is
used does it mean "Latin"?  It shouldn't.  It should be reserved for Jerome's
translation as distinguished from Old Latin Versions.  When we are talking of
the Psalms we seldom encounter Jerome's translation in quotations or versions.
The last time I studied them in detail, the Old English Psalms were clearly
based on an Old Latin version and not the "Vulgate" at all.  If I learned
anything from RAK it was to define my terms. (At the cost of a minus in front
of my grade!)

--V. K. Inman

Quoting "Paul F. Schaffner" <[log in to unmask]>:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, John Dillon wrote:
>
> > University Microfilms has an unspecified variant in its Early English
> > Books, 1641-1700_ series in reels 1167, 1168, 1169; variant a in reels
> > 1170, 1171, 1172; variant b in reels 1173, 1174, 1175; and variant c in
> > reels 1176, 1177.
>
> The 'variant a' and 'variant c' copies are available online in page-
> image format (scanned from the film) to those whose institutions subscribe
> (sorry, Juris!) to ProQuest's Early English Books Online
> (http://eebo.chadwyck.com). The Vulgate text in the 'variant a' edition
> does not offer a lot of excitement in any case; it offers basically
> a combination of the two versions you have:
>
>    Ecce sicut oculi servoru~, in manibus dominorum suoru~.
>    Sicut oculi ancillae in manibus dominae suae: ita oculi
>    nostri ad Dominu~ Deum nostru~, donec misereatur nostri...
>
> (quick and dirty URL: wwwlib.umi.com/eebo/image/104561/1057
>
> official 'openURL':
>
> http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003
> &res_id=xri:eebo&rft_val_fmt=&rft_id=xri:eebo:image:104561:1057)
>
> BTW, we have *not* selected the Walton Polyglot for conversion to
> full-text searchability; it would require some special attention to do so,
> and we could not in any case capture any of the non-Roman alphabets
> (Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, Ethiopic, Arabic, Persian, etc.), but
> would have to restrict ourselves to the Latin translations included
> beside most of these. That's rather put us off doing it at all.
>
> pfs

> Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfs/
> Etext production mgr, EEBO/Evans/ECCO Text Creation Partnerships

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]