----- Original Message -----

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of
medieval religion and culture

> Turns out the "whence" and the "whither" are the
same:

????

whence adv., conj. also used in gen. --
            always has a sense of  "from where" --
            "where from"

whither  v. basic meaning --  move rapidly
                to and fro (OE)
whither adv.  "where to? (OE)
                to which place...
whither sb. rush about (Late ME) --[obvious
                late extended meaning]

example compounds: whitherto [to what]
and "whitherward" [towards what]

There are no synonyms in English --