Having recently visited San Pietro di Castello, identified as the original cathedral of Venice, I'm wondering how Phyllis' recent post about Laurence G... fits in with the development of San Marco as cathedral:
"He also preached
widely, and was appointed bishop of Castello (which at that time
included Venice in the diocese) in 1433.  In 1451, when the see of
Castello was suppressed, the pope made Venice the metropolitan see
(degrading Grado) and made L. archbishop/patriarch."
Was it at this time and on this occasion that the change of cathedrals took place?
MG

Get your name as your email address.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]