Today (3. September) is the feast day of:

Macanisius (d. 514)  Macanisius (Aengus MacNisse), according to a
late legend, was baptized by St. Patrick.  He made a pilgrimage to
the Holy Land and Rome, after which he founded a church and monastery.

Simeon Stylites the Younger (d. 592)  Simeon was a native of Antioch
who became a pillar-sitting saint (stylite) at the precocious age of
seven.  He lived on a pillar for 68 years (actually several pillars;
every few years it seems that he got down to stretch his legs and
move to a taller pillar further away from the crowds who were drawn
to him).

Gregory the Great (d. 604)  One of the very few popes to win the
soubriquet "the great" (I can only think of Leo I and, with somewhat
less justice, Nicholas I), Gregory was the last of the four fathers
of the Latin church.  He was a wealthy Roman patrician who served as
prefect of the city before converting his home into a monastery and
becoming a monk.  He was soon drafted into papal service, and in 590,
much against his will, was elected pope---consecrated on this day in
590.  He proved to be a splendid pontiff---a great diplomat, a
painstaking administrator, a good pastor, and even a great theologian.

Remaclus (d. c. 675)  Remaclus was an Aquitainian who became abbot of
several monasteries before founding the great double monastery of
Stablo-Malmedy in c. 684.  He probably became a missionary bishop in
about 652.

A modern saint (and companions) (blessed) (d. 1632)  On this day in
1632 Anthony Ishida, a Japanese Jesuit, was burned at Nagasaki with
five companions---3 Augustinians, a secular priest, and a Franciscan
lay brother---after a month of torture failed to convince any of them
to apostacize.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]