John Briggs wrote in part:

>Well, yes - but the Sixtine Vulgate of 1590 was promptly replaced by "the"
>Clementine Vulgate (1592 and subsequent editions)....
>It's a pity we don't have the actual 1592 text, as that would probably be a
>good approximation to a typical late medieval version.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I'll chime in here with
a note that Gallica has the Sixtine Vulgate:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF37244823.htm

Unlike many of the image files of early imprints, this one is quite
clear. Unfortunately Gallica doesn't appear to have any of the
immediately following Clementine editions (1592/93/98).

There are however a good handful of other 16th c. editions, the
earliest of which I saw is dated 1534:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF37231285.htm

A particularly attractive one has woodcuts by Holbein:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF37304186.htm

Use the Recherche feature at the main site to search for Title:
Biblia sacra to find at least some of the early Bibles; another
approach that might turn up other titles of interest is to use
Recherche -> Sujet -> B -> Bible, which returns 107 items.

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]