One of the problems with Ebay is that it is nearly impossible to get in
touch with them. They have a contact page which offers you a list of queries
to choose from i.e. "someone is falsly advertising an item". At no point do
they provide an email address or a comments box where you can tell them they
are illegally selling items. At one point I managed to track down an email
address of a member of a staff who worked at Ebay (Don't know what position
he had as I got his email from a message he had left in the forum section).
I emailed him and explained that one item was illegally advertising
artefacts from a protected site. The Ebay guy responded saying there was
nothing he could do and to use the comments forms which didn't allow me to
explain that the artefacts were metal detected from a protected site! I
replied to his email and explained this but he never responded!

The item remained listed and as far as I'm aware someone won the items. It's
all very well Ebay saying they won't list illegal items, but if they don't
provide anywhere that you can get in touch with them and explain this,
what's the point. Perhaps the legaility of such Ebay sales and Ebay's
disclaimer which says it is the responsibility of the seller should be
tested in the courts, perhaps by the representative bodies of archaeology
and archaeologists.

Andrew