From: "John Dillon" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] availability of publications

Bernadette asks:
>How can a newly published book not be available?

Answer: Relatively easily, when the book is listed under a different title
and a different publisher and the persons you ask to find it for you either
1) lack the means or the initiative to locate it under its correct but not
very different title or else 2) do not have access to a fairly comprehensive
database of North American library holdings.

In the chiefly USA-based union catalogue WorldCat (a service of OCLC, Inc.),
the book in question is described thus:

Title:          Quand les hommes parlent aux dieux :
histoire de la prière dans les civilisations /
Author(s):      Meslin, Michel.
Publication:    Paris : Bayard,
Year:   2003
Language:       French
Standard No:    ISBN: 2227471255
Accession No:   OCLC: 53177793
Database:       WorldCat

At present, seven institutions are shown in WorldCat as holding a copy, viz.
CA      UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
IL      UNIV OF ILLINOIS
IN      UNIV OF NOTRE DAME
MA      BOSTON COLLEGE
NJ      DREW UNIV LIBR
QC      UNIV DE MONTREAL
QC      UNIV LAVAL BIBLIOTHEQUE

"Libraries with item" is however a loose concept at OCLC, Inc.: some of
these institutions may only have a copy on order or received but not yet
catalogued.  Still, this should be enough information to allow your
interlibrary loan department to perform at its accustomed level of
brilliance.

Best,
John Dillon

PS: It is quite possible that there _is_ an edition under Fides' imprint as
well.  Paris imprints usually get earlier international notice and better
international distribution (this is an artefact of the unequal capacities of
the French book trade on one hand versus that of Quebec on the other); under
such circumstances most non-Canadian copies are likely to be of the edition
published in France.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:12:41 -0400
 Charles Giguere <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>I seek enlightenment on a question, O learned ones: - I have been trying
for
>months to get my hands on Quand l'homme parle aux dieux, ed. Michel Meslin,
>Fides 2003. Finally, our interlibrary loan dept. (usually brilliant in
>tracking down the most obscure works) announced that it could locate only
>two copies: one in Toulouse (which was not going to be lent to anyone) and
>one in Salzburg - that is in the process of being catalogued, and in the
>fulness of time (if I live that long), I can reapply and maybe I'll get it.
>What gives? I don't understand how anything by Meslin is not  available
pdq.
>How can a newly published book not be available?
>Bernadette Filotas

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]