I tried newadvent.org and the Catholic Encyclopedia for "cofradia image" and was sent to a very informative article about Valencia. I didn't think it worth mentioning till Jim brought the book mentioned below to your attention.
MG

-- Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Those are images that the cofradias (confraternities, kind of) carry during HOly Week in
> procession in many Latin countries. The cofradias are usually "major domos" for the statues in
> the churches; ie. they keep the altar clean, put out flowers, etc. through the year. Sometimes (at
> least in one area of Mexico that I know of) the land belonging to the church is allotted to be
> worked by the major domos.At harvest, they give a portion of the crops to the church. Very
> medieval!

Thank you, Ann.  It is, indeed, "very medieval".  You might be interested in Marlene
Albert-Llorca, Les Vierges miraculeuses (Gallimard, 2002), which contains a great
deal of information on the "cofradias" in the province of Valencia in Spain.

Thanks also to John and Christopher for their responses to my query about St
Symeon of Polirone, aka the Armenian.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - NetZero HiSpeed!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month -visit www.netzero.com to sign up today!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]