Chris Laning wrote:

> It sounds rather like such a person could have described himself as
> both "protestant" and "catholic" (but not Roman). A bit mind-boggling
> to those used to the modern usages!

I should think that many things could be mind-boggling or confusing, if one does
not either know or understand the nomenclature, or what the words mean, or how
they are used--and in what context.

Take "positive," which also means "having or expressing actual existence or
quality as distinguished from deprivation or deficiency." In electrical science,
electricity goes not from positive to negative, rather it goes from negative to
positive. However, a positive balance in your bank account means that you actually
do have money; a negative balance means that you not only do not have money, but
you are "in the hole," before you even get up to being broke. If an electrical
scientist makes a positive deposit of $20.00 in his bank account, does he now have
20 bucks less in the bank? So, in electricity, "positve" really means "negative,"
and "negative" really means "positive." So, yes, an electrical scientist can use
the terms "positive" and "negative" to mean different things, depending upon his
referent: money or electrical current.

Terrill

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]