Doctissimi,

A friend on the med-art list posed a question and asked me to convey her query to you. It concerns an icon (modern) of St. Peter with a hand gesture similar or identical to one usually reserved to Christ - at least according to a friend who saw it. Here goes:

" His
hand gesture is a typical Greek blessing gesture, ring finger and thumb (not
visible in the image) joined, with the other three fingers extended. A friend
commented that that gesture is usually reserved for Christ and expressed
surprise that Saint Peter would be so depicted. I promised I would ask the
learned list about this. Any comments?"

One med-art list member suggested that it had to do with the Pope's change from "Vicar of Peter" to "Vicar of Christ." I was not aware of any such formal (or informal) change, so am in complete ignorance regarding both the original question and the response.
Thanks for any suggestions; I'll forward them to the friend.
MG

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - NetZero HiSpeed!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month -visit www.netzero.com to sign up today!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]