Did you really mean every word of what you wrote in your post, or did you
write it to annoy some of us on the list? In either case, some introspection
on your part is called for  given the condescending nature of the comments
that reek of colonialism.

I agree with Anita, you certainly have the right to criticize methodology -
and for that matter, I have come across several studies in the west that can
and need to questioned for fatal flaws in methodology.

> Chapter 9 attempts to give an account of public knowledge and attitudes
not
> only in Delhi  (pop. maybe 10 million - quite a crowd) but in "North
> India" -- (maybe 300 million - but some of them are quite thin), on

Let's not forget 250 years of colonialism followed by recolonization through
financial cheating by way of international trade policies (most people in
the west are blissfully unaware that these global economic policies make
them wealthy while impoverishing other countries)

>"borderline
> intelligence"  [India and Pakistan were lined up along their borders,
> preparing once again to attack one another...];

At least these countries do not engage in pre-emptive strikes and illegal
wars on countries poorer and different than them and they do not engage in
unseating democratically-elected governments in other countries to maintain
their own supremacy. Need I remind you that India and Pakistan were one
country until five decades ago. It is a well known fact that their divisions
are consequences of colonial policies of "divide and rule" followed by
foreign policies of superpowers.

Some lessons in history might be helpful - but wait,
methodologically-unsound history written in the west without any input from
the east as well as ethnocentric education systems often conceal these
wrong-doings. So, I am not surprised that you are unaware.

I'm appalled that you can so easily denigrate the "other" despite being
involved in the disability rights movement. If we are truly a movement about
social justice, isn't it imperative to connect with other forms of
oppression (ex. racism, colonialism, neocolonialism etc) instead of
belittling them?

Vanmala Hiranandani

http://www.ied.info/books/why