From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Logan
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: Government proposal

Following on the discussion about the proposal above (to cut jobseekers' benefits if they do not undergo specified training) I wrote to both Maria Eagle MP, as the Minister in the DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) having primary responsibility for disability issues, and copied it to Des Browne MP, as the Minister with the responsibility for introducing the proposals.

I got a reply recently from one of their civil servants and I've issued a reply back.

The letter seeks to justify the proposal on the basis that there are -
"estimated to be seven million adults below the ability expected of an eleven year old (Level 1) in one or more basic skills (including literacy, language, numeracy and computer skills)."
The letter is unclear about several aspects of the proposals. For instance:
I'll let you know the reply I get.

David Logan.