Vicky,

The chances are that the copyright to excavation plans will held by the
original author, therefore you should endeavour to get written consent
to use the material in your book. In cases where the original copyright
owner cannot be traced I have frequently seen a disclaimer used in books
along the lines of 'ever effort was made to trace the owner of this work
etc. etc'. Please note: IANAL (I am not a lawyer!). If in doubt, consult
a copyright expert.

There is a quick overview of copyright here:
http://www.uwcm.ac.uk/college/information/copyright/

hope that is of use.

Jason.