----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Prof. Ivan Goodbody
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 3:43 PM
Subject: Urochordate Conference

Dear List members,

On 5th June 2003 Patricia Mather posted a message to The List reminding us all that the Class of animals in which we are interested is Tunicata and not Urochordata. Patricia's message was clear and authoritative. The message identifies the history and development of the taxonomic nomenclature and why,in accordance with the Rules, Tunicata Lamarck 1816 must take precedence over Urochordata Balfour 1881. A few of us may have felt scolded or even humbled by Patricia's message and at least one University found it necessary to rewrite their lab manuals for students. Some textbooks still require revision.
In the light of this it comes as a surprise to learn that yet another Urochordate conference is planned to take place in Santa Barbara next July. Happily the message about the Conference was addressed to Tunicatists and not to Urochordatists and maybe the organisers could be persuaded to rename the Conference as a Tunicate Conference. The continued use of the name Urochordata instead of Tunicata sends the wrong message to students and younger colleagues who should be encouraged to respect The International Rules of Zoological Nomenclature.
Irrespective of the title of the Conference I cannot be in Santa Barbara in July but for those who attend to discuss Tunicate biology I wish you fruitful exchanges.

IVAN GOODBODY
Professor Emeritus of Zoology
University of the West Indies