Anzir,

I hadn't realised that you were interested in the small scale network
implied by the pedestrian mode - I thought it was more a regional thing. You
might like to take a look at that attached paper I gave at the last Space
Syntax Symposium in which I developed spatio-temporal maps for urban areas
and building interiors. In this paper I develop both single point of origin
and all to all representations involving both spatial configuration and time
of travel, and show that for a given 'maximum speed' that these are
representable on a surface in three dimensions (and so as a contour map if
you want). It is however a simple matter to demonstrate that if you allow
variable travels speeds that these fill a volume in space time from a single
point of origin, and that if you go further to look at all to all
interactions these require certain constraints to be representable in a
three dimensional volume - for example that travel times are the same in
each direction on a trip.

Alan Penn
Professor of Architectural and Urban Computing
The Bartlett School of Graduate Studies
University College London
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT