dear marc, jess, susan, simon, secret fluxus and the list
i have been reading with a mixture of curiosity and amusement some bitterness
and not a little sadness, the various remarks on gatekeeping, who gets 'in'
and who gets (left) 'out'.  i certainly agree with marc's eloquent last note
(below) and would simply add that for all of us who continue to work '24/7' on
our philosophical/art/techno/techne, it is inspiring to get to meet, at least
via the net, some rather profound thinkers on this subject, even if few or none
get a mention at the proverbial 'tate'.    in some very real sense, the power
games continue; and the old addage 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts
absolutely' seems apt (though perhaps for some of the power brokers it might be
rephrased to: 'power corrupts; absolute power seems kinda neat').

but it also seems to be the case -- exactly at  the same time as the
power-games continue and the tate, in particular builds its base --that the tate
itself seems a tad bit 'out of the loop' as does the book which 'documents' the
selective memory banks of the (so-called) 'new' media arts crowd (tekkies,
designers, scholars, artists, curators, x).

at the risk of saying either too much by saying too little or not saying
enough(!): one of the attractions (for me) to this field(s) -- one of the reasons
i love it -- is that it seems to hold out the promise of a certain kind of
anarchy -- one that cannot be easily hijacked (read: mastered) by one
organisation or type of institution (galleries/star systems) at the expense of other
voices; or at least it cannot be hijacked for too long and certainly not without a
fight.

i don' think that promise -- a sensuous + pluralised kind of
anarchy/art/science -- is either 'empty' or secretly a 'threat' or 'a something x to come' in
some future that never gets 'here'.  rather: that some very brilliant people
have been top-sliced off the list is a political issue, here and now. but it is
also a reminder for all of us who may need reminding, that power is toxic
(which does not mean one shouldn't go after it or want it; one should just be
fully aware of the the level of toxicities and dress accordingly).
johnny