dear crumb list,

i thought it would be a good idea to pick up on some of the ideas Ele
wrote a few weeks back... as we at crumb continue to ease ourselves
into summer with moments of self-reflection on what we do and why we do
it (please take a minute to fill out our questionnaire on the site:
www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb)!

I've been wondering, in relation to the question of the differences
between curating and organising (when it comes to symposia) if the same
holds for the differences between curating and organising and managing
residencies or production labs. I am about to embark on my first
curatorial residency in collaboration with an artist in the production
of a new work (at Isis Arts in Newcastle)... which feels as though it
is going to be a very different process than either being a curator in
residence working on a show -- minus having the artist(s) in residence
with me (as I have done at the Banff Centre) -- and being a curator who
manages artists in residence (sometimes minus the activity of curating
the concrete exhibition output at the end).

What seems the same in these cases is that my effort is going towards
shaping the context in which the work of art or exhibition (the
content) is produced and emerges. Yet I think this work is often seen
as managerial, educational or interpretive more than as curatorial. Is
that true of other curator's experiences also? As new media art seems
to morph the role of the curator a great deal (more than other forms of
art?) what sort of resources would be useful to you as curators if your
activity is less focussed on the end product art exhibition and more on
the interstitial stages of the work's development (both theoretically
and physically)?

sarah

On 9 Jun 2004, at 10:54, Ele Carpenter wrote:

<snip>

>  As an Independent Curator
> working with an institution it's important to find the right staff who
> can let things happed in the way you want. This may be easier working
> with the Education Dept, than the Exhibitions Dept, but again it
> depends
> on the individuals and their understanding of the project.

<snip>