Alex,

thresholding Z-stats images is quite a complex topic, I suggest reading
through some previous discussions on the list re different practices, a
good starting point probably is an email Joe Devlin sent earlier this
year
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind03&L=fsl&P=R48087&I=-1

On 22 Dec 2004, at 00:04, Fornito, Alexander wrote:

> Thanks. The references help.
> Although I can (for the most part) understand the principles, I have a
> little difficulty understanding the practical implications and
> implementation in FEAT.
> Is there any recommended Z-threshold and p value, or p value for a
> given z threshold?

Not really, it depends on the expected size, the expected amplitude
modulation etc. The Feat default values are sensible across a wide
range of studies.

> Also, I've been playing around with different thresholds on my images
> and have noticed that there is little difference between the
> activation maps produced when I use an uncorrected p < .01 and a
> cluster threshold of z = 2.3 p < .05. The only difference is the
> appearance of some very small additional 'blobs' in the uncorrected
> analysis. Do you know why this would be the case?

I guess cluster thresholding is more conservative. In GRF the Z-images
are thresholded and for each post-threshold 'cluster' a probability is
calculated which depends on the cluster size but also the smoothness of
the image. If the 'blobs' are very small it probably means that they
have quite a low probability given the smoothness.

> I also get some contrasts that show no activation whatsoever. This is
> strange since these are my main contrasts and the task is based on one
> that has already been reported in the literature. This only happens
> for some individuals (I'm just doing single-subject analyses atm), and
> I was wandering whether this was just due to normal variation, or the
> symptom of something more sinister that I'm not aware of?

Maybe, have you tried running melodic to see if there are any nasty
'structured noise' effects in the data? Also, loading the data into
fslview and playing around with the time series display is not a bad
idea.

> On contrasts (and in subjects) where there is activation, the output
> only seems to report results for very large (>100 voxels) clusters,
> when I can see that there are also smaller clusters. Is there anyway
> to get the z values and coordinates of the smaller clusters?
> I've noticed that the z-map images (thresh_zstat) have the image
> properties of the 4D, rather than the template. Is this because the
> analysis is done in native space before being registered to the
> template?

Yes, stats is done in the native data space - the processing order
corresponds to what you see in the GUI from left to right.

> Despite this, although my 4D images are 16 bit, the thresh_zstat
> images are 32 bit. Why does this happen?

All analysis is done in floats/doubles - it does not make sense to use
the native image type for this (e.g. in your case the data probably is
16bit integers but I guess you would not be very happy if all Z-scores
were integer, too)

> Finally, do you forsee any problems if I convert my images, which are
> acquired at 16 bit, to 8 bit before running my analyses? It would save
> disk space and promote efficiency.

I recommend you don't - even if Feat will not crash (which I should
not, but then again I have not tried this) I don't think this is a good
idea. FMRI data is expensive (in many ways) and I cannot see any reason
why one would want to mess with the dynamic data range. This is very
likely to change the results of the analysis.

cheers
christian

--
  Christian F. Beckmann