Hi,

You might find our brief technical report and the references
in that (particularly Kiebel et al 1999) to be useful in
explaining exactly what GRF does.  The report is at:

http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/analysis/techrep/tr00df1/tr00df1/tr00df1.html

Matthew Brett also has an excellent web page explaining GRF
and cluster-based inference at:
   http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/Imaging/Common/randomfields.shtml

Hope these help.
All the best,