thanks Mark
I am running Linux (redhat 9) so i'll have a go with the slower flirt.
the registrations were fine for the other subject for which i completed
a higher level analysis. the runs were quite variable though - i could see that
from eye, looking at the locations of the activations (but each run
was only made up of 30 volumes). i seem to have a
problem looking at time series though - for most functional files that
i load into fsl view, when i click time series nothing appears - even for
stats images from the higher level analysis. the only
time i am able to see time series is when i load an orignial series_2.*.hdr
and overlay a stats image onto to it. is this correct?

thanks again

jane