Hi there - this sounds like a problem that came up once before:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0410&L=fsl&D=0&I=-1&P=10422

In this case there were two problems.
1) The bvecs and bvals files were made in microsoft tools, so they had
spurious microsoft carriage returns (^M) in them.

2) There was no carriage return at the end of bvals

If neither of these is the problem, then I'd be happy to take a quick look
at the data, if you tar it up and put it on the web.

Thanks

Tim Behrens
Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
The John Radcliffe Hospital