Hi Steve,
Just wanted to follow up:

For which design types is this test appropriate/inappropriate?

I've found numerous references to the condition number, but none of them have stated any actual
threshold values that are commonly used.  How did you arrive at 5e-2?  Have you tested
simulated data to see how low you could go before the GLM failed?

many thanks,

jack