-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Duncan Smith
Sent: 20 October 2004 13:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Consent

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
computer.

The information contained in this correspondence is not intended as legal
advice or counsel, and is not represented as such by the sender.  iCompli
Ltd. makes no warranties or statements regarding the legal acceptability of
the information presented in this correspondence.  Any actions performed as
a result of this information are of the recipient's own choosing.
-------------------

Gwenan,

We recently gave a presentation to HR decision makers on the subject of
Confidentiality and recent case law.  You may find the slides useful, and
can be downloaded here: http://www.icompli.co.uk/latestnews/view.asp?nID=29

Of particular interest to you here will be the Johnson v MDU ruling which
(amongst other things) gives us some guidance on disclosure of third party
information.

The main point made was "Begin with the presumption that information
relating to a third party should NOT be disclosed without consent", then
consider whether the data subject's desire for information outweighs your
duty of confidentiality to the third party.  This judgement is not easy and
will require tests of reasonableness and proportionality (see slides).

TICO guidance on this (in the employment code of practice) may have to be
revised as their flow chart suggests that it is ok to withhold information
without carrying out the judgements mentioned above.

Regards,

Duncan S Smith
Managing Director
iCompli Limited   Northampton  UK
T: 08707 70 48 66  F: 08707 70 48 69  M: 07775 56 81 80
Mailto:[log in to unmask]   Web: www.icompli.co.uk
"Compliance in your language"