        From:   Roland Perry [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   03 September 2004 11:41
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        Re: BBC article, satelites tracking

        ***** THIS EMAIL WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET *****

        In message
        <[log in to unmask]>, at
        09:40:18 on Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Jim Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
        writes
        >If you want a fairly complete technical overview with an assessment of
        >some of the features/risks see
        >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/02/blunkett_tagging_hype/

        Sorry, but that links to their backgrounder:

        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/02/satellite_monitoring/

        Which trots out the nonsense [1] version:

                "The trial will involve up to 120 convicted criminals from three
                regions of the country. Each will be fitted with a tracking
                device about the size of a video cassette on a belt around the
                waist, and a second device on the ankle. The video sized box
                sends a signal to the satellite which then informs police of the
                wearers location. the ankle device monitors the transmitter to
                make sure it is not tampered with."

        The root story suggests that the ankle "tag" contains the phone that
        alerts the police when necessary, but it's not clear that this is the
        case.

        [1] GPS listens to the satellite and never transmits to it.
        --
        Roland Perry

                    All user commands can be found at : -

* This email is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. *
* Any unauthorised use or disclosure of its content is prohibited. *
* The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily    *
* be the views held by Scottish Borders Council.                   *

            All user commands can be found at : -