>Actually I am not being sarcastic at all.  A smartcard of the future
>will be perfectly able to transmit data wirelessly.  As I said, "Later".

They might have an RFID installed (which transmit over an inch or two when
activated by a nearby tranmitter). But unless these are in Mk1, I don't
think we'll need to worry about it for a while.

>>My point is that we need to concern ourselves with items like this now.
Once it "can be done" there is a potential for it "to be done"

>As for trains, indoors etc, these are simply technical issues to be
>overcome.  A "leaky feeder" to wire all tunnels for radio is available
>today for radio reception.  Similar technology either exists today or
>will exist in the future for transmission/signal pickup.

The leaky feeder will allow the SMS to continue to work (modulo being in a
Virgin Voyager which apparently cripples all GSM) on a train if all the
tunnels are so equipped (little sign of this so far). But that doesn't solve
getting the satellite signals either on a train or in a building. You *need*
a clear view of the sky and several of the satellites at once.

>>Ah.  This is easier than you think.  A pseudo satellite signal transmits
"On the Northern Line, near Euston" to the receiver while in the tunnel,
which then transmits its position back through the technology we do not yet
have to the monitoring station.

>The more extreme right or left the politics of a government the more
>likely they are to track and control.  And, of course, they will start
>with offenders and the public will say "Good show!"

I agree with your earlier thesis that the general public is very much of the
view "If you don't want a tag then don't go round groping young girls". But
you'll only get then out of that mindset if they think that they might one
day be a target (even though they aren't today).

>>Regrettably the "general public" is, en masse, insane, while individually
perfectly normal.  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large
groups.  An idea, eg tracking, can be promoted as "perfectly reasonable and
sensible" where an emotive crime is concerned.  And what can be more emotive
than kiddie fiddling?  Thus tracking is applauded by the public.  Investment
is made in tracking technology.  Wait, are we back to car insurance here?
Or Road Charging?  Both of which are "Reasonable", because you should only
pay for what you consume.........

            All user commands can be found at : -