In message <001301c41c07$34ebbd70$b8b068d5@ntlworld>, ianwelton
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>In support of that statement see Roland Perrys' comment 05 April 2004 at
>13:14  > It's called an "Identification Card".

<cough>

In the USA the population already accept that they need ID cards for
lots of different things. Some that I can immediately think of:

To prove you are old enough to buy alcohol (yes, compulsory in many
places even if you are clearly well over 21!).

To pick up your own child from school before closing time.

To board a domestic airplane (few Americans have passports).

To use a cheque (there are no such things as cheque guarantee cards).

...and so on.

Given that most Americans have a driving licence, the remainder need
something else. What they've done is use the Driving Licence
infrastructure, and the same levels of proof, but without the driving
test. The resulting card isn't called a driving licence, but an ID card.

I believe the Conservatives were promoting a similar scheme when they
were last in power. So far, I don't think Labour has decided whether to
base their ID card on the Driving Licence or the Passport
infrastructures, but the latter seems more likely as the driving (sic)
seems to be coming from the Home Office (and to a certain extent the USA
recently wanting aliens to have a biometric passport has rather
helpfully dropped into their lap).

ps In terms of intrusion by foreign regimes, I'm rather more exercised
by those that require hotels to grab your passport overnight (or longer)
and send the details to the local police. There are also Commission
buildings in Brussels that require your passport or ID card as a
"deposit" at the reception desk, in exchange for a visitors pass.
--
Roland Perry

            All user commands can be found at : -