Dear everyone

Martin Taylor's concern that the article  http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1115763,00.html
"seems to be implying that local record offices don't offer anything like as exciting as the all singing, all dancing Family Records Centre" is understandable but I think his worry is misplaced in this instance.

Most of us have had experience of how when an item gets to press it somehow does not end up as it was started or intended!

Speaking personally as a user of the Family Records Centre, I can attest to the professionalism of their staff in being totally supportive of other archives. In fact, they go out of their way to encourage their users to seek out and use local information sources wherever possible. I'm sure they don't at all think that they are all singing, all dancing, especially where original records are concerned (since they have very few of those!).

I also know that they do not 'promote' 1837 online as they are aware of its limitations. In fact, they are more likely to suggest Free BMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ which is a voluntary project and much more useful up to 1910 as it is a fully searchable database, not just a scan of an index page.
kind regards (and speaking in a personal capacity, not on behalf of Resource)
Andrea Cordani
Website Manager
Resource:  The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries
16 Queen Anne's Gate, London SW1H 9AA
email: [log in to unmask]
tel: 020 7273 1469 (direct line)
fax: 020 7273 1404
http://www.resource.gov.uk <http://www.resource.gov.uk/>

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential.   If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.   It is intended solely for the addressee.   Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the email and any attachments from the system.