Well after a whirlwind tour of London, Cambridge and Liverpool here is smattering of stories for your enjoyment.
Do read the last story about the Dallas Library's acquisition of new photo collection.

DATA retention is the main compliance headache for banks
Out-Law.com - UK
... time. This conflict, said respondents, was slowing down the ability
to formulate strategies for document retention and retrieval. ...
http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=dataretentionisth1092224125&area=news

INTERNET Archive has copyright problems
The Inquirer - England,UK
The US Internet Archive, which makes archival copies of software and data,
said it was technically impossible to do its job because of the Act which
forbids ...
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17785

INTERNET archivist has modest goal: Store everything
SiliconValley.com - San Jose,CA,USA
By Matt Marshall. Brewster Kahle, founder of San Francisco's Internet Archive,
burns with a mission. He wants to ensure universal access to all human
knowledge. ...
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/9373272.htm

EX-CLERK Sentenced in INS File Shredding
Los Angeles Times (subscription) - Los Angeles,CA,USA
The former worker gets probation and house arrest in the case of destroyed
immigration documents. He intends to file an appeal. ...
http://www.latimes.com/business/careers/work/la-me-salazar10aug10,1,7341442.story?coll=la-headlines-business-careers

EX-EMPLOYEES Talk About Collection Agency Document Handling
WBNS - Colombus,OH,USA
... "Paperwork, documents with social security numbers on it, said the
former employee. "There was no shredding. We just threw it away.". ...
http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2158003

PRESERVING Ham Radio History
Hartford Courant (subscription) - Hartford,CT,USA
... Internet and wi-fi connections, it's easy to forget the technology
that provided much of the basis for our plugged-in lifestyles, but archivists,
working in a ...
http://www.ctnow.com/technology/hc-prime0810.artaug10,1,7780497.story?coll=hc-headlines-technology

MESSAGES Can Be Forever
PC Magazine - USA
... text messaging. So instead we'll be left to look to a new generation
for the first SMS message archivists. Think about it. Somewhere ...

SAIF'S actions draw rebuke in handling of records
Oregonian - Portland,OR,USA
... Keene said her understanding of the state's records-retention rule
was that if a ... was a "ridiculous standard that would allow any state
agency to delete anything ...
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1092225819112380.xml

SCOTTISH Water report kept under wraps
The Scotsman - Edinburgh,Scotland,UK
... It said that Scottish Water’s record on openness in relation to public
documents "leaves much to be desired" and that it did not do enough to
publicise ...
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=916332004

BOXES Full Of History
Washington Post - Washington,DC,USA
... is Richard "Dick" Harrington, a veteran archivist who cut his teeth
at the Library of Virginia in Richmond, which serves as the state's archives
and government ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56599-2004Aug11.html

CONTROLLING content chaos
Computerworld Australia - Australia
... software is designed to keep track of documents and records that are
stored in a variety of locations and formats (paper, Web pages, PDF files
and, increasingly ...
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1835136218;fp;16;fpid;0

CASE of vanishing files baffles court
Boston Globe - Boston,MA,USA
... I want my records. ... only part of my file -- about one-half inch
of documents dating to ... register of probate, said she and her staff
are searching for the files. ...
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/08/12/case_of_vanishing_files_baffles_court_1092236149

COUNCIL supports access to documents
Florida Today - Melbourne,FL,USA
BY WAYNE T. PRICE. The Melbourne City Council wants Melbourne International
Airport leadership to back off on efforts to restrict access to public
documents. ...
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/moneystoryB0811AIRPORT.htm

ACT to bolster record-keeping
Fiji Times - Fiji
... He said the Act would legally establish the National Archives and assign
responsibilities in the acquisition and preservation of public archival
records and ...
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=6693

Dallas Morning News 8/17/04

A legacy worth thousands of words

Dallas to preserve black photographer's historic collection

10:32 PM CDT on Friday, August 13, 2004

By EMILY RAMSHAW / The Dallas Morning News

In the two years since his father died, Marion Butts Jr. has found comfort in the former photographer's

tiny plastic negatives and fragile black-and-white prints that preserve 60 years of Dallas' black history.

There's the one of Dallas' first black police officers. One of a visit by Ike and Tina Turner. And a couple

showing Martin Luther King Jr. in the early days of desegregation.

But Mr. Butts is preparing to say goodbye to those images.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/081404dnmetphotog.278d.html

http://snipurl.com/8flq

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va