Apologies for cross-posting

BT adopts new heritage policy

BT has adopted a new policy for heritage issues. The policy covers all BT related historical material, including three-dimensional artefacts and objects as well as historical archives and information.
     The policy was endorsed by BT's Board Community Support Committee in July. David Hay, head of corporate memory, said: "BT has always recognised the importance of its heritage and the significance of the company's role in the history of telecommunications in the UK. This new policy acknowledges the work the company is engaged in to safeguard this unique heritage and allows us to publicise the commitment we've made to maintaining it."
     The policy details eight commitments the company has made to look after its heritage. The key features of BT's approach to managing its heritage are to maintain historical documents and records within the company, under the management of BT Archives, and to promote access to its physical artefacts online and at museums across the UK through its Connected Earth initiative.

-Ends-

Notes

The heritage policy can be viewed at www.btplc.com/Thegroup/BTsHistory/BTgrouparchives/OurHeritagePolicy/policy.htm

The BT Board Community Support Committee is responsible for company-wide policies on community support and the arts, and for related expenditure. It is chaired by BT chairman Sir Christopher Bland.

BT Archives is open to members of the public who wish to access BT's documentary heritage. More information is available at www.bt.com/archives <http://www.bt.com/archives> or 020 7440 4220.

Connected Earth, founded by BT, is a partnership between BT and museums across the UK to make accessible BT's rich collection of historic artefacts and objects. More information is available at the online museum www.connected-earth.com <http://www.connected-earth.com>

For more information, contact Lucy Jones, BT Group Archivist 020 7440 4223.

BT Group plc is the holding company for an integrated group of communications businesses and is listed on stock exchanges in London and New York. British Telecommunications plc (BT) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BT Group and encompasses virtually all businesses and assets of the BT Group.

BT is one of the world's leading providers of communications solutions serving customers in Europe, the Americas and Asia Pacific. Its principal activities include network centric Information and Communications Technology (ICT) solutions, local, national and international telecommunications services, and higher-value broadband and internet products and services.

BT consists principally of three lines of business:
*       BT Retail, providing fixed and mobile communications services and solutions to over 20 million business and residential customers in the UK. It is also a leading UK internet services provider.
*       BT Wholesale, providing network services and solutions within the UK to over 600 fixed and mobile operators and to service providers including the provision of  broadband, Private Circuits and PSTN.
*       BT Global Services, providing ICT services internationally to meet the needs of multi-site organisations with European operations. BT Global Services operates in 136 countries and also offers international carrier services.

In the year ended 31 March 2004, BT Group's turnover was 18,519 million with profit before goodwill amortisation, exceptional items and taxation of 2,013 million.

For more information, visit www.bt.com

Lucy Jones
Group Archivist
BT Group plc
> Phone : +44 20 7440 4223   Fax : +44 20 7242 1967
> Mob:     +44 7808 735000
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> BT Archives, 3rd Floor, Holborn Telephone Exchange, 268-270 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EE
http://www.btplc.com/archives/

Visit www.connected-earth.com to find out more about the story of telecommunications.

BT Group plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England and Wales no. 4190816
This electronic message contains information from BT Group plc, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.   If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or e-mail (to the numbers or address above) immediately.
Activity and use of the BT Group plc E-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.