ADRIAN -- Surrounded by pages of history that had been savaged by
stormwater and torn to pieces, the Rev. Jim Simmons spent Thursday at
Adrian College sloshing through the remnants of the Lincoln Collection, a
treasure trove of history that documented 200 years of the United Methodist
Church in Michigan.
Simmons should have spent Thursday looking ahead to the future.
http://www.lenconnect.com/articles/2004/06/18/news/news2.txt

Denver Post
Article Published: Friday, June 18, 2004
City to archive spy files
as deterrent, reminder
By Kris Hudson
Denver Post Staff Writer
Denver
officials will
archive the
spy files
compiled by
police about
citizen activists
instead of
destroying
them.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2220046,00.html

Denver library to archive police 'spy files'
By The Associated Press
06.18.04
DENVER — Mayor John Hickenlooper apologized yesterday for the thousands of "spy
files" kept by Denver police on members of peaceful protest groups over the past halfcentury,
saying the records will be archived for historical purposes.
"It was a general lack of oversight," Hickenlooper said, adding that police need to keep
intelligence files on criminals but not on protest groups. "Somehow we lost our way.
There was no legitimate reason to collect some of this information."
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=13540 (

Museum becomes part of program
Mining museum to receive money for preservation
By Gary Garton
Globe Staff Writer
6/18/04
Print this story
PICHER, Okla. - The town's Mining Field Museum has been named as one of 18 attractions in the state to be included in a
program to help local organizations preserve Oklahoma's history and heritage.
"We hope this will not only help us in our work, but also give some positive attention for a change to the history of what
happened in this area," said museum president Frank Wood.
http://www.joplinglobe.com/story.php?story_id=117912

Mining museum
receives grant for
record preservation
By Jacob W. Brower
Miami News-Record
PICHER — The Oklahoma
Department of Libraries announced
this week that the Picher Mining Field
Museum has been awarded a $5,000
grant to be applied toward the
preservation of historic documents
and archival supplies and materials.
http://www.miaminewsrecord.com/MIAMINEWSRECORD/myarticles.asp?P=998720&S=320&PubID=16200

Kansas City Star
Posted on Sat, Jun. 19, 2004
Database provides insights into
Missouri's past
CHERYL WITTENAUER
Associated Press
ST. LOUIS - On the surface, former Missouri Lt. Gov. Thomas Reynolds had everything:
a wife, community stature, a law practice in St. Louis.
But a coroner's inquest conducted at Lynch's Undertaking Establishment tells a different
story of Reynolds, who left Missouri briefly during the Civil War with other Confederate
exiles.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/8961554.htm?1c

IN-Forum
Minnesota group to
preserve piece of N.D.
railroad history
http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D83A6V9O0

Portland Press Herald
Docudrama shapes up at Portland City
Hall
By KELLEY BOUCHARD, Portland Press Herald
Writer
It was a sunny day 133
years ago when City
Engineer William Goodwin
pulled out his work journal
and jotted down details of
the day.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/local/040619documents.shtml (

Galveston Daily News
Galveston's Rosenberg Library turns 100
By Greg Barr
The Daily News
Published June 19, 2004
GALVESTON — If Henry Rosenberg had somehow been able to
time travel and drop by the second floor of the library that bears
his name on a hot, late spring day in 2004, he might have been in
for a shock.
Folks were lined up near a small open door, but not to read a
book. Instead, they were on a waiting list to use one of 27
machines with strange glowing screens in the Rosenberg Library
computer lab.
http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?wcd=21501

BBC
Welsh women's history archived
Creating an archive of
women's contributions to the
history of Wales will be
boosted with a road show on
Saturday.
Historians are appealing to the
public to bring in a wealth of
documents which may shine a
light on women's lives in the 20th
century.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/3820053.stm

Financial Times
Big book, big price
Published: June 18 2004 5:00 | Last Updated: June 18 2004 5:00
Sotheby's New York auction house is likely to be an unusually sober place today
when a 1938 manuscript of Alcoholics Anonymous - the bible of AA otherwise
known as the Big Book - will be offered at sale with a pre-sale price estimate of
$300,000 or more.
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373094319

The Guardian
'Oskar? He was a God'
Leopold Page, a Beverly Hills bag-seller, spent years trying
to persuade people to make a film about the man who had
saved him and his wife from the Nazis. At last he found
someone. Thomas Keneally tells how he stumbled on the
story that became Schindler's List
http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,1240862,00.html

Salem Statesman Journal
Search on state Web site was too vague
June 18, 2004
Your June 7 editorial about improvements that are needed to make the new
state Web portal more user-friendly was mostly on the mark. However, as
director of the State Library, which is responsible for the Google-like search
box on Oregon.gov, I must take some exception to your criticism of our
search box.
http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=82109

Houston Chronicle
June 18, 2004, 3:15PM
Texas treasures go on sale in New York
Late physician's trove of documents includes Travis' 1836 letter from
Alamo
By THOM MARSHALL
A historian's dream and Texans' pride are headed to the auction block in New York City today amid a
trove of documents and memorabilia that includes an original copy of the state's Declaration of
Independence and a rare version of an 1836 letter written by the commander of the besieged Alamo.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2633621

Houston Chronicle
June 18, 2004, 7:50PM
Texas documents yanked from auction
Associated Press
SAN ANTONIO -- A collection of historic Texas documents auctioned off in New York today brought
in $2.1 million, far more than expected after several of the most valuable items were taken off the table at
the last minute.
Three documents were removed today from the Texas Independence sale amid concerns they may have
been stolen years ago from state archives.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2634947

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/061804dntextexauction.ae474.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/061904dntexauction.c61e.html

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA061804.1A.texanaauction.fefaeb1.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/061904dntexauction.c61e.html

New York Times
Footnote to a Royal Affair: Mr. Simpson's
Teary Moment
By ALAN COWELL
Published: June 18, 2004
ROME, June 17 - Finally, it was all just too unfunny.
As his former wife, Wallis Simpson, traversed Europe with the former king of England, Ernest
Simpson, the jettisoned husband in a royal love triangle, could no longer contain himself.
"For the second time I am disgraced in the club, where I dined tonight,'' he wrote on Oct. 14,
1937, in a note to his ex-wife on the letterhead of the Guards Club, Brook Street, London.
"The first time was when George Sebastian insisted on holding my hand throughout lunch,
remember? Tonight, I cried all through dinner. The tears are still trickling, even as I write.
Isn't it all too unfunny?''
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/18/international/europe/18rome.html

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Auction-Edward-VIII.html
Charlotte Observer
Posted on Sat, Jun. 19, 2004
Graham archives saved from fire
Religion News Service
The archives of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill., were
spared when a fire broke out June 8 in the roof of the center's auditorium.
Nearly 100 firefighters fought the blaze, and 200 people were evacuated from the
building, the college announced. Barrows Auditorium, a lecture hall used for conferences
and classes, was the only area that sustained damage. Classes had finished for the
summer, but some conferences may be affected by the fire. The cause is under
investigation.
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/living/religion/8962051.htm?1c

Sun Herald
Posted on Sat, Jun. 19, 2004
Utah family works to preserve
Mississippi county documents for future generations
VICKY NEWMAN
Associated Press
COLUMBUS, MISS. - Temporary Columbus residents Gary and Mary Nelson have
reared 10 children, and today are the proud grandparents of 33 grandchildren, including
one newborn they've yet to meet.
But unlike most grandparents, the Nelsons do not spend their time snapping candid
photographs of their progeny. Instead, along with their eldest grandson Dan Nelson,
they are spending their days photographing old documents from remote county
courthouses.
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/8965152.htm

Financial Times
Doctors pained by system for electronic records
By Nicholas Timmins. Public Policy Editor
Published: June 19 2004 5:00 | Last Updated: June 19 2004 5:00
Family doctors' leaders yesterday declared "no confidence" in the £6bn programme
to provide patients with an electronic patient record. They urged GPs to boycott the
system until concerns about patient confidentiality and how the system will work
are met.
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373121861

engadget.com
AT&T Wireless keeps all your Text Messages
Posted Jun 18, 2004, 3:54 PM ET by Phillip Torrone
Related entries: Wireless
After Kobe did the vertical shuffle with a hotel
work, she text messaged 2 people — her
previous boyfriend and a mystery person.
We’re curious what she said, but here’s the
real rub folks. The judge in the case is
ordering AT&T Wireless to hand over all the
messages.
http://www.engadget.com/entry/7166275638551485/

Mansfield News Journal
Estate papers lost
Jones claimed briefcase stolen by mugger
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/news/stories/20040619/localnews/675486.html

The Jersey Journal
Public document bill taken off agenda
Friday, June 18, 2004
By Sarah N. Lynch
Journal staff writer
HOBOKEN - Much to the chagrin of People For Open Government, the City
Council decided to remove the Electronic Accessibility of Public Information
Ordinance off its agenda Wednesday evening.
The council opted to do so during its pre-meeting caucus after city attorney Joe
Sherman raised several concerns he had in two sections of the ordinance.
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1087549949227780.xml

CMSWire
Global Content Management Growing, IBM Leads the Way
By Brice Dunwoodie :: Category » Enterprise CMS
Gartner Dataquest released its Enterprise Content Management market share report on Wednesday. The
results show that for the second year in a row IBM has been named the worldwide leader based in new
license revenue, with 6 points of share over its nearest rival.
According to the report, the emerging enterprise content management market is now estimated to be
worth more than $1 billion, and is still very much in a growth phase.
http://www.cmswire.com/archives/enterprise-cms/global-content-management-growing-ibm-leads-the-way-000360.php

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va