Susan,

If you have whole fruits such as apples in animal dung, this might provide information concerning the health of the animal's digestive tract, since these soft tissues should have been digested, rather than pass through the system whole.  Although I have not encountered whole fruits and don't have an example for you, I think there is some interpretive value for an ailing digestive tract to your recovery.  Perhaps there is information in animal husbandry literature.  I have recovered evidence of poorly chewed remains in the form of whole date pits in human paleofeces from Nubia.

Linda Scott Cummings