Thanks for sharing this with us.  I have the impression that experimental
archaeology has had a higher profile in the past decade but before then
was
practically non-existant.   As for Iron Smelting that does seem to have
roused
a lot of interest lately in Britain - so it does perhaps depend where you
are and
how well it is publicized among archaeologists and academia.

Bea