> As part of our next ESC Workshop I've been asked to do the 'Parkinson'
> thing
> (or is that the 'Fogarty' thing) with Professor Sir George Alberti.  For
> those of you who haven't experienced this it is a session of about an
> hour
> when someone (me) puts questions to him (PSG) about the Emergency Care
> Reforms etc. in front of an audience.  I've been asked to do it as a
> representative of A&E consultants primarily so what questions would you
> like
> me to ask?
>
> My own thoughts are ...  What does an endocrinologist know about
> emergency
> care?  Why are you dismantling the specialty of emergency medicine?
> Why are
> specialties other than medicine rarely considered?  Do you really think
> there is slack somewhere in the system for minor injuries/illnesses to
> go
> to?  Do specialties other than ours really have any interest in
> emergency
> care?  Do GPs really want to take on minor illness/injury care?
>
>  Any questions/views gartefully received.
>
> Simon McCormick
>
> Rotherham District General Hospital

"It is our understanding that very few General Practioners are interested in continuing to provide
out of hours care after the responsibility is devolved to PCTs. In the absence of adequate
cover for urgent and non-emergency work, how do you expect Emergency Departments to continue
to function after General Practitioners are no longer responsible for out of hours care?"

Best wishes,

Rowley Cottingham

Visit the new and improved http://www.emergencyunit.com