You are cordially invited to attend a bi-lingual reading with Elke Schmitter, introduced by Michèle Roberts. Please let me know if you would like me to reserve complimentary tickets for you.
Barbara Honrath

Wed 8 Oct 7pm
Elke Schmitter: Mrs Sartoris
Introduced by Michèle Roberts

"An incredibly intense, cleverly constructed book" (Neue Zürcher Zeitung)

In her novel, Frau Sartoris (Mrs Sartoris), Elke Schmitter recasts the story of Flaubert's Madame Bovary. Mrs Sartoris is a provincial German woman, a bourgeois wife and mother. Yet she harbours secrets and enmities which have been simmering since her teenage rejection by a well-born lover. The dull routine of her daily life is interrupted when she passionately falls in love again. This all-consuming passion will, she hopes, rescue her from the humdrum of the provinces and will mark the beginning of a new and different life. The plan is ready and the preparations are in place. Mrs Sartoris's days as a provincial housewife are numbered.

Elke Schmitter was born in 1961 in Krefeld and now lives in Berlin. From 1992 to 1994 she was editor of Die Tageszeitung. Since then she has been a freelance writer and journalist, contributing to leading German papers, including Die Zeit, Süddeutsche Zeitung and Der Spiegel. Frau Sartoris is her first novel. The English translation by Carol Brown Janeway will be published in the UK on 2 October 2003.

Novelist and poet Michèle Roberts lives in London and Mayenne, France. She is the author of eleven novels, including the acclaimed Daughters of the House (1992), which won the W.H. Smith Literature Award and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Her poetry is collected in All the Selves I Was (1995). Michèle Roberts was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 1999, and is Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, awarded by the French government in 2000.

In association with Faber & Faber

Tickets: £3
Venue: Goethe-Institut London, 50 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2PH, tel 020 7596 4000