Rachel said why not include a clause in the abstract model to say

> > "Local (novel? non-DCMI?) terms should follow DCMI conventions as regards
> > relationships between terms i.e. properties should be expressed as
> > elements or element refinements with no nesting or grouping."

and Andy replied

> As far as I can tell, your proposed changes still allow for my scenario
> above ??
(i.e. metadata with 50 IEEE LOM data elements and one DC data element)

As I understand it there is a fundamental mis-match in the metadata model
for IEEE LOM and DC. I am suggesting we mandate that the DQ model insists
all data elements must adhere to the DC model as regards the sorts of
relationship between properties. (The data elements need not be properties
with DCMI namespaces) This would exclude IEEE LOM data elements.... it
would include 'novel' DC-like data elements. Not that I dislike IEEE LOM
data elements, just that they are covered by another model.

(I am trying not to use the word record here as it seems to me a slippy
concept given that a fairly typical metadata flow seems to consist of
records being transformed from rich to simple and simple to rich. As has
been covered on the other thread)

Essentially I imagine the DQ model as covering all the DC like data
elements in a 'metadata store'. But not data elements that adhere to a
more complex model, where a different relationships between data elements
is implied by the non-DC model.

Phew... is that clearer?

Rachel

Rachel Heery
UKOLN
University of Bath                              tel: +44 (0)1225 826724
Bath, BA2 7AY, UK                               fax: +44 (0)1225 826838
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/