From: [log in to unmask]>Francis GAYTE
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Saints of the Day 15.August

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture BOTH Ineffabilis Deus AND Munificentissimus Deus do exist :

Ineffabilis was about the Immaculate Conception dogma,  Dec. 8, 1854.
(DzS 2803), pope Pius IX.
Munificentissimus was about the Assumption dogma, Nov. 1, 1950.
(DzS 3903), pope Pius XII.
One should mention the Vatican II confirmation of the Imm. Conc. dogma  in  Lumen Gentium,
(
n° 56, n° 59), pope John XXIII.

I do not know what the DzS numbers mean, but I suppose they refer to a Vaticanese library department shelf number...

See also pope Pius IX, allowing the nomination of Mary as saint patron of the United States of America in 1846.
See also pope Sixtus IV's bull The Imm. Conc., 1483.
I found these informations in Marie dans le dessein de Dieu et la communion des saints, by the "Groupe des Dombes", Bayard Centurion, Paris, 1997.

So, Imm. Conc. day (Mary's birthday) is Sept. 8 , and Ass. day (Mary's deathday) is Aug. 15 .

In Elx, Catalunya, Nov. 1 is now the anniversary of the Assumption dogma declaration by Pius XII. Consequently, the Elxans (or whatever you call them, for example "ilicitanos", which is the official castilian denomination) have two Assumption Days and no All Saints Day in their local christian calendar. Isn't that weird ?

FG ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html