On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:27:05 -0700 Phyllis wrote:

>Today (24. August) is the feast day of:
>
>Bartholomew (1st cent.)  One of the twelve apostles in the synoptic
>gospels, and identified with Nathaniel in John's gospel.  Nothing is known
>about his career, and traditions only developed late.  Eusebius says that
>Bart went to India, and Roman tradition says he was martyred in Armenia.
>B's supposed relics are on an island in the Tiber in Rome.

Specifically, on +the+ Tiber Island (Isola Tiberina) at the church of S. Bartolomeo all'Isola (St. Bart's on the Island).

On which, see:
http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/churches/S.Bartolomeo_allIsola/home.html
with its subsidiary page on the relics:
http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/churches/S.Bartolomeo_allIsola/interior/Ottos_basin.html

also:
http://www.romeartlover.it/Vasi92.htm
http://www.medioevo.roma.it/saggi/chiese/bartolomeo.htm
and, with an enlargeable jpeg of the Ottonian puteal preserved in this church,:
http://www.ex-art.com/magazine/mitileggende01.htm

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]