MIME is a specification for e-mail formatting which allows for the
inclusion of non-text information. The message in question included
an attachment which was translated into base64, which under the wrong
circumstances appears as apparently random lower ASCII. For more on
MIME, see:

http://hunnysoft.com/mime/

I suspect that if Pat had received the message separately Outlook
Express would have rendered the base64 images properly, but my
understanding is that attachments to messages processed by LSoft
Listserv software and sent as part of digests can't be viewed (or
heard, in the case of audio files) as intended.

The page linked above includes a link to an ftp site for mpack, which
is designed to encode and decode MIME; I suspect it won't work
properly with the digest version's base64, but you might want to try
it. A (free) Mac classic version of mpack is available here:

http://mac.iconet.com.br/preview/206995.html

This should all be irrelevant here though, and it's probably a good
time to remind fellow list-members that the welcome message includes
the admonition:

For practical computing reasons and security reasons it is not
allowed, NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, to send attached files to the
list.

(end quote)

For reference, note that the entire welcome message is available at
the group's website at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/MEDIEVAL-RELIGION/INTRODUCTION.TXT

This is one of those "practical computing reasons." As the message
goes on to say, it's best to post information about the files one
might be tempted to send out to the whole list; these can be made
available by e-mail on request to interested members or uploaded to a
web site and the URL provided.

John

***

--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  [log in to unmask]  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]