From: Craig Lockwood
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 22/08/03 10:24
Subject: Meta view or meta analysis - urgent help please

Dear EB group,

I am reading a review where meta analysis was not possible, but many
meta graphs of individual studies are presented, and I am wondering if
there is a consensus on the value of doing this, given the point of
meta-analysis is to present combined study effects.

The primary question of interest I want to explore is on presentation of
data in a meta graph from a single study using events per patient year
versus using the raw data. EG In a study measuring the effectiveness of
an intervention at reducing the incidence of infection, the raw data
indicates infection rates as follows:
16/116 for the treatment group
36/148 for the control group

In the trial, it is also reported as:
0.19 infections per patient year in the treatment group
0.39 infections per patient year in the control group

The meta graph has been constructed using the event per patient year
data rather than the primary data.  I lack a statistical background, and
would greatly appreciate advice on which if either is considered the
proper convention.

Sincerely,
Craig

Craig Lockwood
Deputy Director; Centre for Evidence-based Nursing South Australia
(CENSA)
Margaret Graham Building
Royal Adelaide Hospital
North Terrace
Adelaide 5000
phone: (08) 8303 4880
fax:      (08) 8303 4881

  _____

Apologies if you have received this transmission in error.
Please notify me immediately by return e-mail
and delete all copies

  _____