explorator 6.10                                     July 6, 2003
Editor's note: Depending on your mail software, some urls may
wrap (especially those from the Telegraph) which will require
you to rebuild the url at your end; if you get a 'file not
found', check to see if the url wrapped on you. Most urls should
be active for at least eight hours from the time of publication.

For your computer's protection, Explorator is sent in plain text
and NEVER has attachments. Be suspicious of any Explorator which
arrives otherwise!!!

Thanks to Arthur Shippee,  Bill Kennedy, Dave Sowdon, Donna Hurst,
Hernan Astudillo, Jan Theo Bakker, Jeroen van der Vliet, John McMahon,
Jona Lendering, Joseph Nicholas, Karl Wittwer, Leanne Archer,Louis
A. Okin, Mark Hilverda, Maurice A. O'Sullivan, Michael Hendry,
Robert T. White, Steve Rankin, Via Baker, W. Richard Frahm, William
Gebhardt, Yonatan Nadelman, and Sally Winchester for headses upses this week
(as always hoping I have left no one out).

Editor's note: I will be away from my main computer for the next
two Sundays and I'm not sure whether I'll have sufficient computer
access to put Explorator out. I'll definitely try, but if you
don't see an Explorator for a couple of weeks, don't panic ... it
will return!!!

AFRICA, EUROPE, AND ASIA
The discovery of petroglyphs in Britain might speed up some museum
development (see 'repeats' if you missed the original story):

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_796530.html?menu=

... while aboriginal petroglyphs in Australia are causing similar
excitement:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/01/1056825394030.html
http://www.msnbc.com/news/934029.asp
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/02/wbul02.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/07/02/ixworld.html#3 (scroll down)

Some 7000 b.p. stone tools were found in Dorset:

http://www.thisisdorset.net/dorset/weymouth/news/WEYMOUTH_NEWS_NEWS4.html

A pair of 4000 b.p. tombs were found in Egypt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/01/arts/01ARTS.html (scroll down)

The Hur Moheb tomb was opened to visitors this week:

http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html9/o050723z.htm

A Byzantine cistern was found this week in Nazareth:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/04/israel.nazareth.ap/

As expected, there was quite a bit of coverage of the reopening
of the Baghdad Museum this week (and the numbers of items missing
is still somewhat fuzzy):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43219-2003Jun27.html?nav=hptoc_c

A special 'tease' was the display of Nimrud gold for a few hours:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/04/international/worldspecial/04MUSE.html
http://www.msnbc.com/news/934608.asp
http://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/article.asp?idart=11194 (photos)
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=421504

A Ptolemaic period building has been found near Minya:

http://www.tercera.cl/lt/Articulo/0,4293,3255_5726_35852746,00.html (Spanish)

Okay ... last week I was clearly confused; there has been *another*
Roman ship discovered in the Netherlands (near the other one I was
mistaking it for). This first link is a good photo gallery of the
excavation of both ships (commentary in Dutch):

http://archeologie.kennisnet.nl/schip/gallery/index.html

... the 'new' ship gallery is at:

http://archeologie.kennisnet.nl/schip/gallery/10.html

The main site has a short English summary (if you have the patience
to wait for it all to load ... it *is* worth it):

http://archeologie.kennisnet.nl/schip/

... more news:

http://domino.sbsnet.nl/planet/show/id=74127/contentid=386627/sc=a2e7df (article in Dutch)

They're fixing up the Roman Theatre at Augusta Raurica:

http://www.baz.ch/englishcorner/articles.cfm?ObjectID=DD26FDE9-E618-48D7-BCC3A900F79A8E60 (photo)

Lincoln is going to make a big deal out of its Roman past:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/3028896.stm  (photos)

Leicester is hoping a major construction project will reveal some
missing bits of the town's past:

http://tinyurl.com/g43o

The lost village of Wittinaghame has been found:

http://www.news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=733702003

Syria has decided to 'reactivate' some parts of the ancient water
system originally built by the Romans:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/features/30_06_03_c.asp

I think the Ayodhya dig has officially crossed the line to become a saga:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3040930.stm
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_4-7-2003_pg7_53

Some followups to the Three Gorges Dam flooding:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030707fa_fact
http://www.newyorker.com/online/content/?030707on_onlineonly01

Those Norwegian kiddies are at it again ... this week, they found
a skull in their sandbox:

http://www.nettavisen.no/servlets/page?section=1706&item=275180

Harbour development may threaten the Mary Rose site:

http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=455&ArticleID=551428
THE AMERICAS
PIMA technology has helped unravel some of the mysteries of Cahokia
artifacts:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-07/uoia-nth070203.php

... while another dating method is casting doubt on the antiquity
of the Pedra Furada petroglyphs:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/1976085

I *think* this is a bit of an update to the search for Powhatan:

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20030705-111506-5132r.htm

They're going to rebury the Miami Circle:

http://tinyurl.com/g45g
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030704/APN/307040680

California's missions are suffering from the usual ravages:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/179/nation/Time_takes_its_toll_on_California_missions+.shtml

Research suggests that Mummy Lake was an Anasazi reservoir:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_2089515,00.html

ALSO OF INTEREST
This is sort of a followup to the 'farmers spread language' story
that's been in the news ... now there's more evidence that farmers
helped to spread Celtic (your editor is resisting any further urge
to comment on farmers spreading things):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/01/science/01CELT.html
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=10&u=/nm/20030630/sc_nm/science_language_dc

Multispectral imaging might allow the manuscripts burned in Chartres
Cathedral during WWII to be viewed again:

A number of 'sites in the news' made it to the UN's list of Heritage
Sites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/3043538.stm (photos)

An interesting piece on the Magna Carta:

http://bostonreview.net/BR28.3/linebaugh.nclk

Councillors in Yorkshire are pondering setting up a fund to acquire
artifacts which turn up from time to time:

http://tinyurl.com/g43n

It seems like just yesterday, but it's the 300th anniversary of
Robert Hooke's death:

The veracity (or lack thereof) of Robert Drury's Journal continues
to make the news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,987610,00.html

A not-really-lost-but-purloined Ark has returned to Ethiopia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3034860.stm

AthensNews has a touristy thing on ancient Olympia:

http://www.athensnews.gr/athweb/nathens.print_unique?e=C&f=13020&m=A22&aa=1&eidos=S

The NYTimes has a touristy thing on Santiago de Compostela:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/29/travel/29camino.html

So ... what happens at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/29/weekinreview/29OVER.html

The New York Times has an interesting piece on George Stubbs'
equine portrayals:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/04/arts/design/04ANTI.html

... and the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Mass.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/arts/design/06WEIS.html

... and the day New York declared its independence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/04/opinion/04KETC.html

... and the Green-Wood Cemetery (particularly the stories
told by its Civil War era headstones):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/04/nyregion/04CIVI.html

I think this will work ... it's a graphic from the NYTimes dealing
with the changes in the US demographic make up:

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/06/29/weekinreview/030629_nwr_ROBERTSch.gif

David Greenberg debunked a number of American myths this week for
the Times as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/29/weekinreview/29GREE.html

Time Magazine's cookie-laden site has a nice feature on Ben
Franklin and what really happened with the kite:

http://www.time.com/time/2003/franklin/bfkite.html

... and it seems appropriate to put a review of a biography of
Franklin here as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/books/03MASL.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/books/review/06ELLIST.html

Here's the actual Star Spangled Banner (interesting number of
stars and stripes):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/arts/design/03FLAG.html

[p.s. your editor is Canadian and has included all this Independence
Day-related stuff because of its historical interest, not because
of any political motivation]
MAGAZINES AND JOURNALS
American Journal of Philology 124.2

http://www.press.jhu.edu/journals/american_journal_of_philology/toc/ajp124.2.html (TOCS/Muse)

Anistoriton 7 (June 2003):

http://users.hol.gr/~dilos/anistor/cover_en.htm (full text)

Archaeology 56.4 (July/August 2003):

http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=curiss/index (some full text)

Archaeology Odyssey (July/August 2003):

http://www.bib-arch.org/bswb_AO/indexAO.html (good stuff!)

Biblical Archaeology Review (July/August 2003):

http://www.bib-arch.org/bswb_BAR/indexBAR.html

Classical Quarterly 53.1:

http://www3.oup.co.uk/clquaj/current/  (tocs/abstracts)

ON THE WEB
D. Fossataro, "GIS of Rural Sanctuaries in Abruzzo":

http://www.intoarch.com/Articles/article/12/1/

The History Detectives website is worth a look:

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/

Smithsonian Magazine has a feature on the Anasazi:

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues03/jul03/anasazi.html
NEW ONLINE BOOKS
J.E. Seaver, *The Persecution of the Jews under the Roman Empire*:

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/texts/carrie_books/seaver/

Theognis of Megara: Poetry and the Polis (a machine readable edition
(ed. Thomas J. Figueira and Gregory Nagy)):

http://zeno.stoa.org/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Stoa%3Atext%3A2001.06.0009;query=toc;layout=;loc=1.2
AT ABOUT.COM
Ancient History Guide N.S. Gill's latest is on M. Claudius Marcellus:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/people/a/marcellus.htm
BOOK REVIEWS
Tom Koppel, *Lost World: Rewriting Prehistory -- How New Science
is Tracing America's Ice Age Mariners*

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0626/p15s02-bogn.html

George Marsden, *Jonathan Edwards: Soul on Fire* (review by Gary Wills):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/books/review/06WILLST.html
PERFORMANCES
Aida (Tyre):

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/05_07_03/art3.asp

The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0627/p16s02-almp.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/30/arts/theater/30LEON.html
EXHIBITIONS
Recent finds from excavations at Athens International Airport:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_civ_8182504_30/06/2003_31337

Medicine Man: The Forgotten Museum of Henry Wellcome (BM):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,987860,00.html

Nike: The Game and the Victory (Rome):

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3034568 (photos)
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wxxi/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=517365 (photos)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20030703/od_uk_nm/oukoe_arts_colosseum_games (photo)
CLASSICIST'S CORNER
Australian P.M. Bob Hawke had an interesting commendatio given
him as he received an honourary doctorate:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6698955^1702,00.html
http://silentrunning.tv/archives/002563.html

Some ClassCon in a piece on various pieces presented on the London
stage of late:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/01/arts/theater/01LOND.html

We've had a couple of reviews of Sappho's leap recently ... here's a
response from EJ's (classical) consultant:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/books/review/0706br-letters.html

Peter Jones:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2003-07-05&id=3275

Akropolis News in Classical Greek:
http://www.akwn.net/

Radio Finland's Nuntii Latini
http://www.yle.fi/fbc/latini/trans.html

Radio Bremen's Der Monatsrückblick - auf Latein
http://www.radiobremen.de/online/latein/

U.S. Weather in Latin:
http://latin.wunderground.com/
REPEATS
British Cave Art:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/934515.asp
http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=4LDLSQVXXWCA0CRBAELCFEY?type=scienceNews&storyID=3033769

Catawba sites:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030626235259.htm

Drought Reveals Sites in Arizona:

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=062882FB-9ADE-47F8-B38106B919624A4C

Ringlemere Cup:

http://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/article.asp?idart=11191

Stonehenge as Birth Symbol:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,992215,00.html
OTHER SOURCES OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL NEWS
Ancient World Web Breaking News Page:

http://julen.net/ancient/breaking.html

Archaeologica:

http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

Archaeology Magazine's Newsbriefs:

http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/newsbriefs/index

Bible and Interpretation Breaking News:

http://www.bibleinterp.com/news.htm

CBA Newsfeed:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/newsfeed/index.html

CBA Archaeoblog:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/archaeoblog/

Francis Deblauwe's 'Iraq War and Archaeology' site:

http://cctr.umkc.edu/user/fdeblauwe/iraq.html

Maritime Underwater Archaeological News:

http://www.munarchaeology.com/munarchaeology/news/main.htm

Michael Ruggeri's Ancient America and Mesoamerica News:

http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!35!F6!26C030D734B7/Topiltzin-2091/AncientAmericaand/

Mirabilis.ca (blog):

http://www.mirabilis.ca

Paleojudaica (blog):

http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com

Stone Pages Archaeo News:

http://www.stonepages.com/news/

Texas A&M Anthropology News Site:

http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

EXPLORATOR is a weekly newsletter representing the fruits of
the labours of 'media research division' of The Atrium. Various
on-line news and magazine sources are scoured for news of the
ancient world (broadly construed: practically anything relating
to archaeology or history  prior to about 1700 or so is fair
game) and every Sunday they are delivered to your mailbox free of
charge!
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To send a 'heads up' to the editor or contact him for other
reasons:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Explorator is Copyright (c) 2003 David Meadows. Feel free to
distribute these listings via email to your pals, students,
teachers, etc., but please include this copyright notice. These
links are not to be posted to any website by any means (whether
by direct posting or snagging from a usenet group or some other
email source) without my express written permission. I think it
is only right that I be made aware of public fora which are
making use of content gathered in Explorator. Thanks!