Dear Leigh

I am not aware that there is anything 'physical' to denote a town wall from
other walls, but clues are

Line and position - are other sections of wall known and can a link be made
(same material, etc) and its course. If it is brick then it is either
re-used Roman brick, or late Medieval (I can't remember when brick was first
used in the Middle Ages, I think late 14th century - can anyone on the list
help?)

Size - town walls are likely to be higher, wider and grander than other
walls. How does your wall compare? (This isn't infallible, as 1) wall
probably has been cut down 2) some walls were to force traders to enter by
the gates, so sometimes almost any structure would do)

Boundaries - what are the civic boundaries of the town. Does a church parish
stop at the wall? (if so may be a boundary)

The Orchard - what is the history of the orchard? Was it thought to be
inside or outside the circuit of the town? Who owned it and the surrounding
land

Could you put a picture of the section of wall, that would be helpful

All the best

Chris Daniell