Actually, figures regularly show that far more people are
interested/participate in culture & heritage than are interested/participate
in sport. Just because newspapers think that (mostly male) sports are
important enough to have their own daily section of newspapers, and tv
programme schedulers put them above and beyond all other programming doesn't
mean that sports evoke more interest or participation. More councillors must
be taken in by the high profile sports and sports stars get than bother to
take notice of statistics that show culture & heritage are more important!
Some Local Authorities are beginning to get the idea that culture & heritage
are good for a healthy local economy - but they haven't yet connected that
with the basics of having enough long-term posts to carry out the essential
tasks of conserving, researching, displaying, educating and carrying out
outreach work.
Janet Davis