so here's an interesting example of a sick situation. We wish metal detector
users to give us information where the new sites they find are, but we do
not trust them enough to tell them where the sites we already know about
are?

Surely apart from the few who would use the information to loot sites most
of the readers of the book  have the right to know where what is in the
townscape.

In answer to your dilemma, perhaps you could just produce colourful but
schematic maps and give vague directions "a little/ some way to the east of
the present town centre...". But should paranoid secrecy replace accurate
information in this case?

Paul Barford