I am unaware of any mafia-style conspiracy of silence within the IFA.
I'd imagine the real reason nobody shops misbehaving organisations is
that finding evidence to back up any allegations is difficult once
their sites have been built on. Shouting your mouth off about unit X
dumping its finds in the North Sea will almost certainly invite a law
suit which would be very difficult and expensive to defend. This isn't
a problem unique to archaeology but occurs in every commercial field.

What exactly do you mean by "family units" introducing favoured staff
into IFA? Surely everyone needs two references to join and asking one's
employers would be a pretty obvious choice to provide at least one of
them? Members are elected by a scrutinising committee it's not like
being put up for the Garrick Club.

adam single