I wouldn't think of joining a Society - even though I'm middle-class,
educated, and have worked alongside archaeologists for years - because I'm
aware that any Society involoved with studying the past in my area tends to
be dominated by middle-aged/late-middle-aged men. The individuals I have met
assume that women are less intelligent, less educated, and only useful for
taking minutes of their meetings and making the tea. I can't be bothered
with putting up with such attitudes in my leisure time. I can really
understand why others wouldn't think of joining such societies.
Janet Davis