John Fraser wrote:
> Your comment below shows a deeply patronising view of the general public

I am not being remotely patronising.  I never said or implied with people
with these values and attitudes lacked 'the richness and variety of human
experience' . You are the one making the value judgement not me! The reason
I was so specific in my description is that all the discussion to date has
assumed that people taking part in the Big Dig are 'people like us' joiners
of Societies, users of libraries, attenders at classes etc. There is a large
section of the population to whom this is an alien world. I meet and talk
with them most days. The Big Dig reaches them. Societies do not. With
reference to my namesake's email, possibly Community archaeology projects
are the way forward.

Catherine Petts