----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenny Vaughan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: North Devon Gravel Tempered Wares

> I used to love dBase IV, finding it very flexible. I even wrote little
> procedures which I just can't get to grips with at all in Access.

I have to agree with this.  I've been using DBase since the mid-80's, and
have written packages for analysing pottery databases with it which I still
use, something that Access doean't seem able to do, as it's far too clunky.
Dbase seems to be to me the best-suited of the mainstream database packages
for analysing artefact-related data, altho' my nerd credentials are a bit
limited in this area :).  The downside is that it all works best from the
dot-prompt, and you have to learn the language, but the effort is worth it
in the end, as it can crunch data very quickly, and tackle quite
sophisticated search routines.  Also helps if you've got a head for maths, a
discipline which seems to induce a primal terror in quite a few
archaeologists.....