[log in to unmask] writes:

> My rather sketchy knowledge of Brandon dates to the 1980s when EH hired me
> to do some documentary research on Weeting Castle. I doubt very much that
> a palce of that size had a town wall- these were very expensive - and in
> samll towns invariably built by the lord for strategic reasons. Most are
> recorded in the royal records (murage grants etc)- see a good local
> history. Manorial enclosures often had stone walls but then so did some
> urban orchards - in Leicester that at Lord's Place owned by the earl of
> Huntingdon. Stone walling does suggest an owner of status but boundary
> walls are notoriously difficult to date. You could try some record office
> research- it might turn up in court records or deeds. Establishing the
> ownership would help- you seem to suggest it belongs to the town.

Hi
Thanks for replying - I am inclined to agree with you that any boundary in a
town of this site was likely to be ditches+/wooden fencing.  One of the
reasons for the story of it being a town wall is the fact that the field on the
other side is was once known as Castle Meadow (now Nine Stiles Meadow) again
another legend as there is no evidence for a castle having been built on this spot
and if it had been it too would probably have been of wooden construction.
The orchard is known as Town Orchard but so far I have not been able to uncover
any documentary evidence that it actually belonged to the town.  I shall be
visiting the previous owner next week (the lady who kindly donated the orchard
to the town for the nature reserve) to see if she can provide any clues.  I
feel that it is more than likely to be an orchard wall perhaps dating from
Georgian times.
Thanks once more for your help.