David and Audrey Graham <[log in to unmask]> wrote (in <000001c34e
20$cbd093b0$9828fea9@David>) about 'Detectorists : News travels fast',
on Sat, 19 Jul 2003:
>Following on from the thread on metal detecting, I had a site recently
>on common land in Surrey that was producing large numbers of Roman
>coins. One of the walkers who passed by must have seen this because,
>within three days, the location was being advertised on a treasure
>hunting website and shortly afterwards, of course, the site was raided
>overnight.

Well, the 'flora and fauna' people have this problem as well. When, for
example, a rare plant or nesting bird is discovered, they have no
alternative but to recruit volunteers to watch and protect the site.

I agree that it's not satisfactory, but it seems to be the only way of
preventing vandalism.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!