Carol Primrose <[log in to unmask]> wrote (in <5.1.0.14.0.200307
[log in to unmask]>) about 'Odp: Stonehenge Moat Hypothesis',
on Thu, 17 Jul 2003:
>Paul Barford wrote:
>><There is a general consensus among those who study such things that there
>>very probably is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe>
>
>Not among astronomers there isn't. The evidence suggests more and more that
>the rise of life on earth is the result of a concatenation of factors for
>which no parallel has been found anywhere in the observable universe. This
>doesn't rule out the possibility but scientific research to date suggests
>that the correct description is "highly improbable".
>Carol

In fact, the profession is very much divided on this subject. SETI
appears to be heading for a restoration of public funding, and the
recent discovery of a planetary system with a gas giant in an orbit that
would permit rocky planets to exist in orbits that could be within the
'habitable zone' has strengthened the hypothesis that the conditions for
life as we know it are not rare. In addition, there are three or four
vehicles on the way to Mars, partly to investigate whether there was
ever any life there.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!